Thursday 17 September 2009

First we need some transport

Giggity giggity
Breakdown
"You're mad",
"Wow",
"Where are you going to break down"?
These are a few of things we heard when we told our friends we are riding to Morocco.

Breakdance
So what's the plan?
Last week we booked a ferry from Portsmouth, UK to Bilbao in Spain. I'm riding on my recently rebuilt 1974 Vespa Rally 200. Kev will be taking his 1991 C90 to Portugal in his van and riding it to Morocco from there.
'Why is he not riding to Portugal'? I hear you ask... He needs to take him and his van to Portugal anyway. That's a good enough reason to go for a ride on my scooter too.
To save money, as we're on a tight budget, we'll take the ferry to Bilbao as opposed to riding through France. This would be too expensive.
At the moment I'm not entirely sure which route I'll take for the return journey. Kev will probably stay in Portugal so I'll be on my own. Getting there is always the memorable part but coming home is not necessarily the best part of any trip.
That's a long way off as yet.

A long way off

Break a leg
We talked about a trip like this many times in the past so it was time for action. I was in the process of restoring a Vespa Rally 200 scooter so that would do for me, while Kev was restoring his liver.
So I had some transport and he had some transplant.
He stopped going down the pub and was on the look out for a cheap Citroen 2CV. Budget was the key issue here. We later found out that there seems to be no such thing as a cheap Citroen 2CV. Ok. How about a motorbike? C90? Do nicely.

A long way off

Shake your tail feather
We found out today that Kev had the winning bid for a Honda Cub 90. After telling the seller our plans, he chuck(l)ed in some waterproofs, helmet, gloves, spare tyres and tubes and a few good lucks. As Kev doesn't even have his CBT bike licence yet, let alone any equipment, this was a right result! Thanks Tony. Haven't seen the bike yet but getting all the extra gear is a good start. I started riding my other scooter again last year so I have most of the basics already.
Oh no! I've sprained my typing finger. This could potentially be the end of this blog.
We leave in 8 weeks time. We need to get these machines roadworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment