There hasn't been much written lately as we have not decided which route to take. We only have a rough plan which will develop as we get closer to our destination. We've also been busy at work so we can actually fund the trip. Until recently there has been very little preperation.
With the exception of riding around and blowing up 2 x engines.
Lately both Kev and myself have been busy. Last Saturday Kev was booked in to take his CBT (Cumpulsory Basic Training for motorcycles).
As he was taking his test on his C90 he had to fit a few things back on it, such as
A new K and N air filter was also fitted.
A quick tune up by 2-stroke wizard Simon Venturi and it was ready for the test the next day.
I'm pleased to say Kev and Simon passed their CBT and now Kev is legally on the road!
He's been ripping up the tarmac and doing do-nuts in the dark.
A few tweaks to the clutch and indicators, take off the legshields, add one Kev and he's away!
Hit the road
As for me, I've had the 'new' engine back and have done a few hundred miles running it in again as it's had new bearings and seals etc. Thanks go to Antony at Buzzsolomoto for getting me an engine when I needed one and to Sausage and Ian for an excellent and super fast re-build.
This engine is nowhere near as fast as my previous, standard Rally 200 engine (when it was running). I get a top speed of just below 60mph if I'm lucky.
Not good. I was hoping for a cruising speed of at least 60mph.
I found out that the later Spanish P200 engines are more restricted than earlier Rally 200 engines.
So I too wanted my machine to go that little bit faster and decided to change my carb.
I took the scoot for a test ride and then it died.
It is deceased.
It is no more.
I pushed it home with my head held low. (I'm getting the practice in).
So what happened? After I pulled the engine apart I discovered that a vagrant washer had managed to lodge its way in between the crankcases and the crankshaft and made a nice snug home for itself, siezing the crank.
No time to cry. I took a quick trip to Beedspeed in Grimsby for some spares yesterday (new crank and bearings etc) and am pleased to announce my temperamental scooter is now running again. All thats left is to take it for a long test run tomorrow to find out if its going to make it to Morocco.
Snakebite and Black
I originally started this blog with the heading 'Vespa or C90, who will break down first?'
I should have written, 'C90 or Vespa, which will be ready first?'
I thought my Vespa project would be simple enough. All I wanted was a standard Vespa Rally 200 engine in a standard Vespa Rally 200 frame and ride it to Morocco. Oh yeh, and back again. I keep forgetting that bit.
Hopefully, having all these problems at 'home' will mean that I won't get any when I'm 'on the road'.
On the positive side, the optional extras I've fitted, a 12volt battery to power 2 x 'windtone' horns and a cigarette lighter socket (to charge my mobile phone) are all fully functional.
A loud horn is a must in any country.
A few days ago we went out on the road together for the first time and I'm suprised just how fast the C90 is.
I'm also suprised just how slow my Vespa is.
Thankfully for me, I'm a little quicker than the Kev on his C90. I can just keep up with the C90 when I'm going flat out in 3rd gear but when I change to 4th gear I don't have much more top speed, although it allows me just enoough to slowly overtake Kev, grin and give him the finger.
Now Kev has fitted a larger front sprocket to his C90 which made me nervous as I thought he maybe faster than me but we are yet to find out as working for a living seems to get in the way of important stuff like riding around all day.
Next I'm going to try a donated sports exhaust to see what difference it makes to my top speed. I can't have a C90 overtaking me!
If fitting the new exhaust proves a success I'm guessing a new carb will find its way onto Kevs bike.
To retaliate that means I will then have to fit a performance kit and maybe add some faster gearing to mine.
I then imagine Kev will fit nitrous oxide boosters to catch me up again. I may then add a go faster flame design to mine. That should add an extra 20 mph to the top speed.
Trouble is, I know Kev's been eyeing up a super quick 125cc Thumpstar engine. Watch out Venturi!
If I ever get this engine, or even better, the other original one working again, I will then try to load everything I will be taking with me onto the scoot and take it for another test ride. Things such as tent, sleeping bag, small mattress (Winter sale now on), clothes etc.
Exactly what I end up taking will depend on how much stuff will fit into my bags. I plan to lay out everything I want to take in front of me and then get rid of half of it. Usually works.